CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fruit of Gor

Go down

Fruit of Gor Empty Fruit of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Fruit

There is a ritual tied into the offering of fruit, which is discussed in the 'Rituals of bondage' section.

I iddly observed the dancer. Her eyes were on me. It seemed, in her hands, she held ripe fruits for me, lush larma, fresh picked. Her wrists were close together, as though confined by the links of slave bracelets. She touched the imaginary larma to her body, caressing her swaying beauty with it, and then, eyes piteous, held her hands forth, as though begging me to accept the lush fruit. Men at the table clapped their hands on the wood, and looked at me. Others smote their left shoulder. I smiled.

On Gor, the female slave, desiring her master, yet sometimes fearing to speak to him, frightened that she may be struck, has recourse upon occasion to certain devices------.Another device, common in Port Kar, is for the girl to kneel before the master and put her head down and lift her arms, offering him fruit, usually larma, or a yellow Gorean peach, ripe and fresh.
---Tribesmen of Gor, pp 27, 28

Apricot
No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

I brushed away two sellers of apricots and spices.
---Tribesmen of Gor, page 45

Cherry
The Isles of Tyros, are mentioned as producing cherries. No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

With the tip of my tongue I touched her lips. Some slave cosmetics are flavored. "Does Master enjoy my taste?" she asked. "The lipstick is flavored," I said. "I know," she said. "It reminds me of the cherries of Tyros," I said.
---Beasts of Gor, 28:

Chokecherry
Mentioned in Blood Brothers of Gor as one of the fruit used in the making of pemmican. No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

Crushed fruit, usually chokecherries, is then added to the meat. The whole, then, is mixed with, and fixed by, kailiauk fat, subsequently, usually, being divided into small, flattish, rounded cakes. The fruit sugars make this, in its way, a quick energy food, while the meat, of course, supplies valuable, long lasting stamina protein.
---Blood Brothers of Gor, 4:46

Date
From the city of Tor, they are said to be the same as earth dates. No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

The principal export of the oases are dates and pressed-date bricks. Some of the date palms grow to more than a hundred feet high. It takes ten years before they begin to bear fruit. They will then yield fruit for more than a century. A given tree, annually, yields between one and five Gorean weights of fruit. A weight is some ten stone, or some forty Earth pounds.
---Tribesmen of Gor, 2:37

Ka-la-na
From the yellow kalana tree, it is used to make wine and garnishes for drinks.

I picked some Ka-la-na fruit and opened one of the packages of rations. Talena returned and sat beside me on the grass. I shared the food with her.
---Tarnsman of Gor, 8:

Larma
Norman offers descriptions that indicate there are two varieties of this fruit, one simply called here, the 'hard' larma or 'pit fruit', the other refered to as the 'juicy' larma.

He then picked up a juicy, red larma fruit, biting into it with a sound that seemed partly crunching as he went through the shell, partly squishing as he bit into the fleshy, segmented endocarp.
---Nomads of Gor, 19:

I took a slice of hard larma from the tray. This is a firm, single-seeded applelike fruit. It is quite unlike the segmented, juicy larma. It is sometimes called, perhaps more aptly, the pit fruit, because of its large single stone.
---Players of Gor, p 267

The larma is luscious. It has a rather hard shell but the shell is brittle and easily broken. Within, the fleshy endocarp, the fruit, is delicious and very juicy.
---Renegades of Gor, p 437

Melon
There is mention of 'different varieties' although the only description given is the following. Melons are mentioned among the fruit which grow in the Schendi area, though there is no indication that they are not part of other area gardens, we also see them sold in a market in Tor.

Buy melons! called a fellow next to her, lifting one of the yellowish, red-striped spheres toward me.
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 45

Nuts
Used among other things, in vulo stew. No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

I had returned late to the compartment. Mis Blake Allen, head to the floor, knelt when I entered. In the cafes I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg;hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 47

Olives
From the cities of Tor and Tyros, the latter producing the red variety of olive.

the food, bosk steak and yellow bread, peas and Torian olives, and two golden-brown, starchy Suls, broken open and filled with melted bosk cheese.
---Assassin of Gor, p 168

Clitus, too, had brought two bottles of Ka-la-na wine, a string of eels, cheese of the Verr and a sack of red olives from the groves of Tyros.
---Raiders of Gor, p 114

Peach
No specific 'Gorean' description offered but for the fact that the 'Gorean' peach is yellow.

Another device, common in Port Kar, is for the girl to kneel before the master and put her head down and lift her arms, offering him fruit, usually a larma or a yellow Gorean peach, ripe and fresh.
----Tribesmen of Gor, pp 27-28

Plum
No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

I was jostled to one side by two men in djellabas. My ankle stung. I had nearly stepped into a basket of plums.
---Tribesmen of Gor, 2:45

Pomegranate
Orchards of pomegranate are found growing at the Oasis of Red Rock.

"Pomegranate orchards lie at the east of the oasis," I said. "Gardens lie inward. There is even a pond, between two of the groves of date palms."
---Tribesmen of Gor, 11:

Ram-berry
Small reddish fruit found in the wild.

A guard was with us, and we were charged with filling our leather buckets with ram-berries, a small reddish fruit with edible seeds, not unlike plums save for the many small seeds.
---Captive of Gor, p 305

Ta-grape
From the Isle of Cos, these plumb sized grapes ressemble those of earth and are used to make Ta-wine, but may also be eaten as is.

The grapes were purple and, I suppose, Ta-grapes from the lower vine-yards of the terraced island of Cos
---Priest-Kings of Gor, p 45

I retrieved a grape about the size of a small plum from the table before it could be cleared away. It was peeled and pitted, doubtless laboriously by female slaves. It was a Ta-Grape.
---Players of Gor, p 291

Tospit
Named for the large number of seeds it holds, this small yellow peach-like fruit, about the size of a plum, is bitter in taste though edible.
Tospit is also used as a target in some of the throwing games of the Wagon People.

On the back of the kaiila, the black lance in hand, bending down in the saddle, I raced past a wooden wand fixed in the earth, on the top of which was placed a dried tospit, a small, wrinkled, yellowish-white peachlike fruit, about the size of a plum, which grows on the tospit bush, patches of which are indigenous to the drier valleys of the western Cartius. They are bitter but edible.
---Nomads of Gor, 8:

He looked at me shrewdly and, to my surprise, drew a tospit out of his pouch, that yellowish-white, bitter fruit, looking something like a peach, but about the size of a plum.
---Nomads of Gor, 12:149

The common tospit almost invariably has an odd number of seeds. On the other hand the rare, long-stemmed tospit usually has an even number of seeds. Both fruits are indistinguishable outwardly. I could see that, perhaps by accident, the tospit which Kamchak had thrown me had had the stem twisted off. It must be then, I surmised, the rare, long-stemmed tospit.
---Nomads of Gor, 12:149

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum