CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marine Life of Gor

Go down

Marine Life of Gor Empty Marine Life of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Bint
A carnivorous freshwater marsh eel, fanged, found in the rivers of the rainforests inland of Schendi; a large school of bints can strip a carcass in minutes.

“Ayari nodded, shuddering. Such blood might attract the bint, a fanged, carnivorous marsh eel...”
Explorers of Gor page 267

Crayfish, white
Small and blind, found in the brine pits at Klima

“These, in turn, become food for various flatworms and numerous tiny-segmented creatures, such as isopods, which, in turn, serve as food for small, blind, white crayfish, felts and salamanders.”
Tribesmen of Gor

Eel
A ravenous animal capable of maiming or killing a slave in moments. Some varieties are edible and considered a gorean delicacy. Varieties include: river eel, black eel, and spotted eel.

“Not only must they fear the marsh sharks and the carnivorous eels which frequent the lower delta..”
Raiders of Gor page 6

“Many estates, particularly country homes, have pools in which fish are kept. Some of these pools contains voracious eels, of various sorts, river eels, black eels, the spotted eel, and such, which are Gorean delicacies.”
Magicians of Gor page 428

Eel, Dock
A black freshwater fish 4 feet long, weighing 8-10 lbs.; carnivorous and aggressive, they inhabit the shallow waters around the dock and wharves of river ports.

“The dock eels, black, about four feet long, are tenacious creatures. They had not relinquished their hold on the flesh in their jaws when they had been forcibly struck away from the leg, back into the water.”
Rogue of Gor page 155

“I was only dimly conscious of the wetness of my back. Then something wet and heavy, slithering; leapt upward out of the water, and splashed back. My leg felt stinging. It had not been able to fasten its jaws on me. I looked downward. Two more heads, tapering, menacing, solid, were emerged from the water, looking up at me. Then, streaking from under the water, suddenly breaking its surface, another body, some four feet in length, about eight or ten pounds in weight, leapt upward...I knew that the fastening of those jaws, in a fair bite, could gouge ounces of flesh from a man's body.”
Rogue of Gor page 130

Gint
A freshwater fish, about 6 inches, which inhabits the rivers of the rainforests inland of Schendi; it has bulbous eyes and flipper-like fins; having both lungs and gills; is capable of walking on its pectoral fins; often found in the company of tharlarion feeding off the scraps of their kills.

“I recalled, sunning themselves on exposed roots near the river, tiny fish. They were bulbous eyed and about six inches long, with tiny flipperlike lateral fins. They had both lungs and gills. Their capacity to leave the water, in certain small streams, during dry seasons, enables them to seek other streams, still flowing, or pools. This property also, of course, makes it possible for them to elude marine predators and, on the land, to return to the water in case of danger. Normally they remain quite close to the water. Sometimes they even sun themselves on the backs of resting or napping tharlarion. Should the tharlarion submerge the tiny fish often submerges with it, staying close to it, but away from its jaws. Its proximity to the tharlarion affords it, interestingly, an effective protection against most of its natural predators, in particular the black eel, which will not approach the sinuous reptiles. Similarly the tiny fish can thrive on the scraps from the ravaging jaws of the feeding tharlarion. They will even drive one another away from their local tharlarion, fighting in contests of intraspecific aggression, over the plated territory of the monster’s back. The remora fish and the shark have what seem to be, in some respects, a similar relationship. These tiny fish, incidentally, are called gints.”
Explorers of Gor pages 299 - 300

Gint, Giant
A large cousin of the gint found in western Gor similar in appearance but with a 4-spined dorsal fin; is also amphibious and capable of walking on its pectoral fins.

“The creature which had surfaced near us, perhaps ten feet in length, and a thousand pounds in weight, was scaled and had large, bulging eyes. It had gills, but it, too, gulped air, as it had regarded us. It was similar to the tiny lung fish I had seen earlier on the river, those little creatures clinging to the half-submerged roots of shore trees, and, as often as not, sunning themselves on the backs of tharlarion, those tiny fish called gints. Its pectoral fins were large and fleshy.”
Explorers of Gor page 384

“I saw the large fish, one of the bulging-eyed fish we had seen earlier, a gigantic gint, or like a gigantic gint, it now having slipped over the channel’s sill, disappear under the water. “Hurry!” I called to her. Wildly she was splashing toward the shore. She looked back once. She screamed again. Its four-spined dorsal fin could be seen now, the fish skimming beneath the water, cutting rapidly towards her.”
Explorers of Gor page 389

Grunt
A large carnivorous salt-water fish which inhabits Thassa; is attracted by blood

“.....a large game fish that haunts the plankton banks to feed on parsit fish.”
Marauders of Gor page 59

Grunt, Blue
A small carnivorous freshwater fish related to the Thassa grunt; also attracted by blood like its larger cousin.

“Ayari nodded, shuddering. Such blood might attract the bint, a fanged, carnivorous marsh eel, or the predatory, voracious blue grunt, a small, fresh-water variety of the much larger and familiar salt-water grunt of Thassa.”
Explorers of Gor page 267

Grunt, Great Speckled
A fish inhabiting the Thassa and caught as food for sailors.

“Half out of the water, then returning to it, I saw a great speckled grunt, four-gilled. It dove, and swirled away.”
Slave Girl of Gor

Grunt, White-Bellied
A large game fish found among the plankton beds in the Polar North, feeds on parsit fish. It's eggs are considered a rare delicacy.

“Three other men of the Forkbeard attended to fishing, two with a net, sweeping it along the side of the serpent, for parsit fish, and the third, near the stem, with a hook and line, baited with vulo liver, for the white-bellied grunt, a large game fish which haunts the plankton banks to feed on parsit fish.”
Marauders of Gor page 59

Lelt
A small (5-7 inches) blind fish with fernlike filaments at either side of the head which it uses for sense; white with long fins it swims slowly and is the main food of the salt shark; inhabits the brine pits such as those at Klima in the Tahari.

“The lelt is commonly five to seven inches in length. It is white, and long-finned. It swims slowly and smoothly, its fins moving the water very little, which apparently contributes to its own concealment in a blind environment and makes it easier to detect the vibrations of its prey, any of several varieties of tiny segmented creatures, predominantly isopods.”
Tribesmen of Gor

Lung Fish
Also called gints; small fish found near half-submerged roots of shore trees or sunning on the back of tharlarion.

“It was similar to the tiny lung fish I had seen earlier on the river, those little creatures clinging to the half-submerged roots of shore trees, and, as often as not, sunning themselves on the backs of tharlarion, those tiny fish called gints.”
Explorers of Gor page 384

Marine Saurian, Reptilian
Reptilian-like scavengers found in the Thassa, more than 20 ft in length, it has a long neck and small head with rows of small teeth. Its appendages are like broad paddles.

“I had seen, yesterday, the long neck of a marine saurian lift from the waters of gleaming Thassa, It had a small head, and rows of small teeth. Its appendages were like broad paddles. Then it had lowered its head and disappeared. Such beasts, in spite of their frightening appearance, are apparently harmless to men.”
Slave Girl of Gor

Marine Saurian
Fish-like predator with long, toothed snouts that are silent and aggressive; sailors fear them as they do the long-bodied sharks.

“Far more common, and dangerous, are certain fishlike marine saurians, with long, toothed snouts; they are silent and aggressive, and sailors fear them as they do the long-bodied sharks.”
Slave Girl of Gor

Marsh Shark
Long bodied, almost eel-like nine-gilled inhabitant of the rence island areas of the marsh.

“Beyond them would be the almost eel-like, long-bodied, nine-gilled Gorean marsh sharks.”
Raiders of Gor

Oysters
From the Vosk delta.

“Other girls had prepared the repast, which, for the war camp, was sumptuous indeed, containing even oysters from the delta of the Vosk, a portion of the plunder of a tarn caravan of Ar, such delicacies having been intended for the very table of Marlenus, the Ubar of that great city itself.”
Captive of Gor page 301

Parsit Fish
A silvery fish with brown stripes, they follow the \'parsit current\' in the polar basin. In Torvaldsland, it is smoked and dried, stored in barrels, and used in trade to the south.

“The slender striped parsit fish has vast plankton banks north of the town, and may there, particularly in the spring and the fall, be taken in great numbers. The smell of the fish-drying sheds of Kassau carries far out to sea.”
Marauders of Gor page 27

River Shark
A narrow black carnivorous fish; vicious, with a triangular dorsal fin found in the rivers of Gor.

“Something, with a twist of its great spine, had suddenly darted from the waters under the pier and entered the current of the Laurius. I saw the flash of a triangular, black dorsal fin. I screamed. Lana looked out, pointing after it. "A river shark," she cried, excitedly. Several of the girls looked after it, the fin cutting the waters and disappearing in the fog on the surface.”
Captive of Gor page 79

Salt Shark
A long-bodied (12' or more) fish; carnivorous, having gills situated under the jaw several rows of triangular teeth a sickle-like tail and a sail-like dorsal fin; inhabits brine pits such as those of the Tahari.

“At the top of the food chain in the pits, a descendant, dark-adapted, of the terrors of the ancient seas, stood the long-bodied, nine-gilled salt shark.”
Tribesmen of Gor

Sea Sleen
Aquatic mammal that inhabits the polar seas, following the parsit current in search of their main food source, the parsit fish. There are four main types: black sleen, brown sleen, tusked sleen, flat-nosed sleen. Some remain under the ice year round, mostly dormant but rising every quarter of an Ahn or so to breathe through cracks in the ice.

“The red hunters lived as nomads, dependent on the migrations of various types of animals, in particular the northern tabuk and four varieties of sea sleen. Their fishing and hunting were seasonal, and depended on the animals.”
Beasts of Gor

“The four main types of sea sleen found in the polar seas are the black sleen, the brown sleen, the tusked sleen and the flat-nosed sleen. There is a time of year for the arrival of each, depending on the waves of the parsit migrations. Not all members of a species of sleen migrate.”
Beasts of Gor

Sea Sleen, Black
One of the four main types of sea sleen found in the polar North.

“Her cloak, of black fur, from the black sea sleen, glossy and deep, swirled to her ankles.”
Marauders of Gor

Sea Sleen, Brown

“The four main types of sea sleen found in the polar seas are the black sleen, the brown sleen, the tusked sleen and the flat-nosed sleen. There is a time of year for the arrival of each, depending on the waves of the parsit migrations. Not all members of a species of sleen migrate.”
Beasts of Gor

Sea Sleen, Flat-Nosed

Beasts of Gor

Sea Sleen, Rogue
Rare variety of sea sleen found in the Polar North, broader headed more dangerous.

"That, I think, is a rogue sleen," said Imnak. "It is a broad-head, and they are rare in these waters in the fall. Too, see the gray on the muzzle and the scarring on the right side of the head, where the fur is gone?" "Yes," I said. "I think it is a rogue," he said. "Also, see the way he is watching you."
Beasts of Gor

Sea Sleen, Tusked

Beasts of Gor

Sea Sleen, White-Spotted
Its rich fur is used for cloaks.

“And behind them, in a rich swirling cloak of the fur of the white, spotted sea sleen, sword in hand, looking wildly about, was another man, one I did not know.” Raiders of Gor page 299

Shark, River
A narrow black vicious carnivorous fish with a triangular dorsal fin which inhabits the rivers of Gor.

“Following in the wake of the Tesephone, to pick up litter or garbage thrown overboard, were long-bodied river sharks, their bodies sinuous in the half-clear water, about a foot below the surface.”
Hunters of Gor

“He turned and fled to the water. I watched. Luck was not with him. I saw the distant churning in the water, and saw, far off, the narrow head of a river shark, lifting itself, water falling from it, and the dorsal fins, black and triangular, of four others.”
Hunters of Gor

Sorp
A shellfish common esp. in the Vosk river similar to an oyster; like an oyster it manufactures pearls

“Ho-Hak once again sat down on the curved shell of the great Vosk sorp, that shell that served him as a throne in this domain, an island of rence in the delta of the Vosk.” Raiders of Gor page 20

Vosk Turtle
Can grow to be gigantic, these animals are carnivorous, aggressive and persistent. Can be difficult to kill.

“It might, too, be a Vosk turtle. Some of them are gigantic, almost impossible to kill, persistent, carnivorous. Yet, if it had been a tharlarion or a Vosk turtle, it might well have broken the surface for air.” Nomads of Gor page 204

Whale, Baleen
Bluish white spotted whale with a blunt fin, hunted by the Red Hunters.

“Sometimes they managed to secure the northern shark, sometimes even the toothed Hunjer whale or the less common Karl whale, which was a four-fluked, baleen whale. But their life, at best, was a precarious one.”
Beasts of Gor

Whale, Hunjer
Toothed whale hunted by the Red Hunters.

“Sometimes they managed to secure the northern shark, sometimes even the toothed Hunjer whale or the less common Karl whale, which was a four-fluked, baleen whale. But their life, at best, was a precarious one.” Beasts of Gor

Wing fish, Cosian
Also known as song fish due to its whistling mating song; a tiny blue salt-water fish with 4 poisonous spines on its dorsal fin; found in the waters off Port Kar; its liver is considered a delicacy in Turia.

"Now this," Saphrar the merchant was telling me, "is the braised liver of the blue, four-spired Cosian wing fish." This fish is a tiny, delicate fish, blue, about the size of a tarn disk when curled in one's hand; it has three or four slender spines in its dorsal fin, which are poisonous; it is capable of hurling itself from the water and, for brief distances, on its stiff pectoral fins, gliding through the air, usually to evade the smaller sea-tharlarions, which seem to be immune to the poison of the spines. This fish is also some times referred to as the song fish because, as a portion of its courtship rituals, the males and females thrust their heads from the water and utter a sort of whistling sound.”
Nomads of Gor pages 84 - 85

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum