CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reptiles of Gor

Go down

Reptiles of Gor Empty Reptiles of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Hith, Golden
A rare Gorean python, large enough for it to be difficult for a man to encircle it's body with his arms.

“In another case, somnolent and swollen, I saw a rare golden hith, a Gorean python whose body, even when unfed, it would be difficult for a full-grown man to encircle with his arms.”
Priest Kings of Gor page 191

Lizard, water
Small lizards found in the Swamps of Ar, capable of picking a body clean of flesh within ehn's, much like Earthen piranha

“I realised the small water lizards of the swamp forest were engaged in their grisly work.”
Tarnsman of Gor page 85

“As the water lizards had fed, the carcass, lightened, had shifted position, rolling in the water. Now, in a matter of minutes, the skeleton was visible, picked almost clean, the bones gleaming except where small lizards skittered about on them, seeking a last particle of flesh.”
Tarnsman of Gor page 86

Mamba
Large predatory variety of river tharlarion which inhabits the rivers of the rainforests inland of Schendi. It is believed the cannibalistic Mamba People take their name from this flesh eating animal.

“The word ‘Mamba’ in most of the river dialects does not refer to a venomous reptile as might be expected, given its meaning in English, but, interestingly, is applied rather generally to most types of predatory river tharlarion.”
Explorers of Gor page 393

Marine Saurian, Reptilian
Reptilian-like scavengers found in the Thassa, more than 20 ft in length, it has a long neck and small head with rows of small teeth. Its appendages are like broad paddles.

“I had seen, yesterday, the long neck of a marine saurian lift from the waters of gleaming Thassa, It had a small head, and rows of small teeth. Its appendages were like broad paddles. Then it had lowered its head and disappeared. Such beasts, in spite of their frightening appearance, are apparently harmless to men.”
Slave Girl of Gor

Marine Saurian
Fish-like predator with long, toothed snouts that are silent and aggressive; sailors fear them as they do the long-bodied sharks.

“Far more common, and dangerous, are certain fishlike marine saurians, with long, toothed snouts; they are silent and aggressive, and sailors fear them as they do the long-bodied sharks.”
Slave Girl of Gor

Marsh Moccasin
Dark, poisonous snake about five feet long with a small triangular head. It inhabits the waters of the Vosk Delta.

Ost
Tiny bright orange snake, about 12 inches long; its venom causes extremely painful death within seconds. It is the most venomous snake on Gor.

“As I tore the thing from my leg, glad that the sting had not been that of the venomous ost, the three hurtling moons of Gor broke from the dark cover of the clouds.”
Outlaw of Gor

Ost, Rainforest
A snake of the Schendi rainforest: this variety is red with black stripes.

“The ost is usually an orange snake, but these were Ushindi osts, which are red with black stripes. Anatomically, and with respect to toxin, I am told they are almost identical to the common ost.”
Explorers of Gor page 239

Tharlarion
One of several types of large reptiles, some of which have been domesticated, it's fat is rendered to provide lamp oil; see also mamba and Ul.

“He lit the small hanging tent lamp, a wick set in a copper bowl of tharlarion oil, and in its flickering light turned to the sleeping mat.”
Tarnsman of Gor

“Through the trees I could see tent canvas, a tharlarion wagon, the strap-masters unharnessing a brace of low tharlarions, the huge, herbivorous draft lizards of Gor.”
Outlaw of Gor

Tharlarion, Broad
Sluggish tharlarion used as draft animals; herbivorous.

“It was drawn by a single tharlarion, a broad tharlarion, one of Gor's quadrupled draft lizards.”
Kajira of Gor

Tharlarion, High
Agile tharlarion used as a mount for riding. Their forelegs are very short, almost useless; carnivorous.

“The tarn is one of the two most common mounts of a Gorean warrior; the other is the high tharlarion, a species of saddle-lizrd, used mostly by clans who have never mastered tarns.”
Tarnsman of Gor

“The high tharlarions, unlike their draught brethren, the slow-moving, four-footed broad tharlarion, were carnivorous. However, their metabolism was slower than that of a tarn, whose mind never seemed far from food and, if it was available, could consume half its weight in a single day. Moreover, they needed far less water than tarns.” Tarnsman of Gor

Tharlarion, Land
Land dwelling tharlarion used for towing. The land tharlarion can swim, though not as efficiently as the river tharlarion.

“Those approaching were drawn by land tharlarion, plodding on log roads along the edges of the river. The land tharlarion can swim barges across the river, but he is not as efficient as the vast river tharlarion.”
Captive of Gor page 81

Tharlarion, Marsh
Inhabitants of the marshes that comprise the delta of the Vosk; similar to crocodile.

"You will be thrown bound to the marsh tharlarion, of course," said Ho-Hak.”
Raiders of Gor page 21

“We saw one rencer screaming in the water, caught in the jaws of a marsh tharlarion.”
Raiders of Gor page 53

“My leg was out of the water, but now the water seemed yellow with the flashing bodies of tiny tharlarion, and beyond them, I heard the hoarse grunting of the great marsh tharlarion, some of which grow to be more than thirty feet in length, weighing more than half a hundred men.”
Raiders of Gor page 57

Tharlarion, Racing
These high tharlarions are bred and registered for racing. Unlike the animals used as cavalry, these are chosen from \'medium class\' tharlarion, being smaller and lighter. Famous bloodlines include Venetzia, Toraii, and Thalonian.

“Although our mounts were such, they are not to be confused with the high tharlarion commonly used by Gorean shock cavalry, swift, enormous beasts the charge of which can be so devastating to unformed infantry. If one may use terminology reminiscent of the sea, these were medium-class tharlarion, comparatively light beasts, at least compared to their brethren of the contact cavalries, such cavalries being opposed to the sorts commonly employed in missions such as foraging, scouting, skirmishing and screening troop movements. Rather our mounts were typical of the breeds from which are extracted racing tharlarion, of the sort used, for example, in the Vennan races. To be sure, it is only select varieties of such breeds, such as the Venetzia, Torarii and Thalonian, which are commonly used for the racers. As one might suppose, the blood lines of the racers are carefully kept and registered, as are, incidentally, those of many other sorts of expensive bred animals, such as tarsks, sleen and verr.” Magicians of Gor page 289

Tharlarion, River (1)
Extremely large, herbivorous, web-footed lizards used by bargemen of the Cartius River to pull barges.

“These barges, constructed of layered timbers of Ka-la-na wood, are towed by teams of river tharlarion, domesticated, vast,herbivorous, web-footed lizards raised and driven by the Cartius bargemen, fathers and sons, interrelated clans, claiming the status of a caste for themselves.”
Nomads of Gor pages 3 - 4

Tharlarion, River (2)
Crocodile-type animal; implied to be carnivorous and very similar to the marsh tharlarion.

“Remember,” she said, “that I was forced to do this, that I not be hurled to the waiting jaws of crocodiles, beasts much like river tharlarion. That I not suffer so horrible a fate I knew that I must please him well, and as the slave which I had now been proven to be.”
Explorers of Gor page 328

“The word ‘Mamba’ in most of the river dialects does not refer to a venomous reptile as might be expected, given its meaning in English, but, interestingly, is applied rather generally to most types of predatory river tharlarion. The Mamba people were, so to speak, the Tharlarion people. The Mamba people ate human flesh. So, too, does the tharlarion. It Is thus, doubtless, that the people obtained their name.”
Explorers of Gor pages 393 - 394

Tharlarion, Rock
A small, six-toed reptile of the south.

“I looked at the tiny lamp on the shelf near the door. It smoked, and burned oil, probably from tiny rock tharlarions, abundant south of Tor in the spring.”
Tribesmen of Gor

“…or are pursued by small pet sleen, kept there for that purpose, or with the tiny, six-toed rock tharlarion of southern Torvaldsland, favored for their legs and tails, which are speared by children.”
Marauders of Gor

Tharlarion, Water (sea-tharlarion)
Described as not much more than \'teeth and tail\', this tiny scavenger follows in the wake of the larger water tharlarion and is not more than 6 inches long. It inhabits the marshes

“Nothing had yet broken the surface. It would probably be a sea-tharlarion, or perhaps several such; sometimes the smaller sea-tharlarion, seemingly not much more than teeth and tail, puttering in packs beneath the waves, are even more to be feared than their larger brethren, some of whom in whose jaws an entire galley can be raised from the surface of the sea and snapped in two like a handful of dried reeds of the rence plant.”
Nomads of Gor

“Immediately following I saw the water seem to glitter for a moment, a rain of yellowish streaks beneath the surface, in the wake of water tharlarion, doubtless its swarm of scavengers, tiny water tharlarion, about six inches long, little more than teeth and tail.”
Raiders of Gor page 1

Ul
Winged predatory tharlarion, found flying over the deltas surrounding Port Kar. This reptile has a 25 foot wing span and a long, snakelike tail, terminating with a flat spade like structure.

“A brightly plumaged bird sprang from the rushes to my left, screaming and beating its sudden way into the blue sky. In a moment it had darted again downward to be lost in the rushes, the waving spore stalks, the seed pods of various growths of the Gorean tidal marshes. Only one creature in the marshes dares to outline itself against the sky, the predatory Ul, the winged tharlarion.”
Raiders of Gor page 1

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum