CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegetables of Gor

Go down

Vegetables of Gor Empty Vegetables of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Beans
No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

Carrot

... most Sa-Tarna is yellow; and beans, berries, onions, tuber suls, various sorts of melons, a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch, and various root vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, radishes, of the sphere and cylinder varieties, ...
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 37

Corn

Many of the tribes permit small agricultural communities to exist within their domains, she said. The individuals in these communities are bound to the soil and owned collectively by the tribes within whose lands they are permitted to live. They grow produce for their masters such as wagmeza and wagmu, maize or corn, and such things as pumpkins and squash.
Savages of Gor, p 233

Garlic

I have peas and turnips, garlic and onions in my hut.
---Outlaw of Gor, p 29

Katch

... a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch

Kes
A small shrub which grows in sandy soils. Its roots are a main ingredient of Sullage.

The principal ingredients of Sullage are..............and the salty, blue secondary roots of the Kes shrub, a small, deeply rooted plant which grows best in sandy soil.
---Priest Kings of Gor, p 45

Kort
A yellow fibrous vegetable usually served sliced with melted cheese and nutmeg. The description is kort makes it sound like it would belong to a squash family.

...and korts, a large brownish-skinned, thick-skinned, sphere shaped vegetable, usually some six inches in width, the interior of which is yellow, fibrous, and heavily seeded.

Onion

At the oasis, will be grown a hybrid, brownish Sa-Tarna, adapted to the heat of the desert; most Sa-Tarna is yellow; and beans, berries, onions, tuber suls, various sorts of melons, a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch, and various root vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, radishes, of the sphere and cylinder varieties, and korts, a large brownish-skinned, thick-skinned, sphere shaped vegetable, usually some six inches in width, the interior of which is yellow, fibrous, and heavily seeded.
---Tribesmen of Gor, 2:37

Peas
Tarl Cabot does refer to them as Gorean peas although no specific 'Gorean' description offered.

I have peas and turnips, garlic and onions in my hut.
---Outlaw of Gor, p 29

I had tarsk meat and yellow bread with honey, Gorean peas, and a tankard of diluted Ka-la-na, warm water mixed with wine.
---Assassin of Gor, p 87

Pepper

Some of the peppers and spices, relished even by the children of the Tahari districts, were sufficient to convince an average good fellow of Thentis or Ar that the roof of the mouth and his tongue were being torn out of his head.
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 46

I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod, with slices of peppers and larma, and roasted; vulo stew with raisins, nuts, onions and honey; a kort with melted cheese and nutmeg; hot Bazi tea, sugared, and, later, Turian wine.
---Tribesmen of Gor p 47

Pumpkin and squash
Mentioned as grown at least in the Barrens area. No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

Many of the tribes permit small agricultural communities to exist within their domains, she said. The individuals in these communities are bound to the soil and owned collectively by the tribes within whose lands they are permitted to live. They grow produce for their masters such as wagmeza and wagmu, maize or corn, and such things as pumpkins and squash.
Savages of Gor, p 233

Radish
Two varieties mentioned here, the 'sphere' and the 'cylinder' varieties.

At the oasis, will be grown a hybrid, brownish Sa-Tarna, adapted to the heat of the desert; most Sa-Tarna is yellow; and beans, berries, onion tuber suls, various sorts of melons, a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch, and various root vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, radishes, of the sphere and cylinder varieties, and korts, a large brownish-skinned, thick-skinned, sphere shaped vegetable, usually some six inches in width, the interior of which is yellow, fibrous, and heavily seeded.

Sul
A root vegetable. Its description would make it quite similar to the earth potato. It is also used in the making of the Gorean peasant's liquor, Sul-Paga.

The sul is a large, thick-skinned, yellow-fleshed, root vegetable. It is very common on this world. There are a thousand ways in which it is prepared. It is fed even to slaves. I had had some at the house; narrow, cooked slices, smeared with butter, sprinkled with salt, fed to me by hand.
---Dancer of Gor, p 80

The Tarn Keeper ... brought the food, bosk steak and yellow bread, peas and Torian olives, and two golden-brown, starchy Suls, broken open and filled with melted bosk cheese.
---Assassin of Gor, p 168

Turnip

They supplement their diets by picking berries and digging wild turnips, said the first lad.
---Blood Brothers of Gor, p 124

A great amount of farming, or perhaps one should speak of gardening, is done at the oasis, but little of this is exported. At the oasis, will be grown a hybrid, brownish Sa-Tarna, adapted to the heat of the desert; most Sa-Tarna is yellow; and beans, berries, onion tuber suls, various sorts of melons, a foliated leaf vegetable, called Katch, and various root vegetables, such as turnips, carrots, radishes, of the sphere and cylinder varieties, and korts, a large brownish-skinned, thick-skinned, sphere shaped vegetable, usually some six inches in width, the interior of which is yellow, fibrous, and heavily seeded.

Tur-Pah
A parasite plant of the Tur tree. Its leaves are red and curly.

The principal ingredients of Sullage are...........the curled, red, ovate leaves of the Tur-Pah, a tree parasite, cultivated in host orchards of Tur trees....
---Priest Kings of Gor, p 45

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum